For the history of the Presbyterian denomination, click here.
Pilgrim Presbyterian Church was formed when two congregations, First Presbyterian Church and Trinity Presbyterian, joined together to build a church on Belvidere Road in 1961.
First Presbyterian Church stood on South Main Street Phillipsburg for 103 years. As the very first congregation in Phillipsburg, formed by 32 people on December 13, 1853, the original name of the congregation was the Phillipsburg Church. In 1903 major improvements were made to the South Main Street Church and its name was changed from the Phillipsburg Church to The First Presbyterian Church.
The first pastor, the Rev. Smith Sturges, was installed in April of 1855. As the local population grew, the church sponsored the formation of three additional church schools, in anticipation of forming additional congregations. By 1873 the church had sponsored three additional church schools with a combined attendance of 547. The Howell Sunday School, later known as the North End Mission, assisted in the building of Trinity Presbyterian Church
Trinity Presbyterian Church began in 1907, when the Rev. James Moore, pastor of Westminster Presbyterian Church, began Sunday afternoon services in the Delaware Park Public School. On June 2, 1918, the new Delaware Park Mission Chapel was dedicated. Under the guidance of the Rev. M.H. Looloian the Trinity Presbyterian Church came into being in November of 1928.
Discussion of a merger between the two congregations occurred from 1955 to 1960. On September 14, 1961, following a vote by both congregations, the Presbytery of Newton approved the merger of the First and Trinity Churches under the new name, Pilgrim Presbyterian Church.